What are VPPs?
A Virtual Power Plant (VPP) is a network incorporating decentralized power consumed units, power generating and storage systems that together function as a dispatchable unit, which can bring their flexibility to power markets.This meanspowercan be dispatched on demand, according to market needs, to enable small decentralized energy resources (DERs) to participate in electricity or ancillary service markets, and reduce the complexity of trading energy between thousands or millions of DERs.
How does VPP work in solar energy storage systems?
The surplus solar energy in many individual home batteries can be combined and dispatched remotely by a VPP provider into a larger energy source. All batteries can be regarded as mini power stations in the network, and they can deliver renewable electricity to the grid and provide grid support services on demand. With the VPP, it will improve the efficiency of electricity generated by roof solar or other renewable power sources and it can bring extra revenue to the home owners by participating in grid services.
GROWATT energy storage solution in VPP application
API Communication Solution
All the GROWATT energy storage system can upload the system information into the could through the Internet, and receives a command from the servers, which provides an approach to dispatch the system remotely. The VPP provider can establish an API communication with oursever to pull and push the data, enabling the systemsto respond to the demand as the energy market needed.
Local Modbus communication solution
GROWATT also offers the VPP control interfaces in our energy storage system, such as SPH 3000-6000TL BL-UP and SPH 4000-1000TL3 BH-UP. Our system can communicate with the VPP control module which is offered by VPP provider through RS485 by Modbus protocol. The VPP control module can capture and control our system and upload all the information into their central control platform.
Benefits of energy storage system in VPP application
- 1 Users can be paid for the surplus solar power feeding into the grid and receive an additional subsidy besides normal solar feed-in tariff
- 2 Users can gain discounted electricity rates through a VPP provider that is also an electricity retailer.
- 3 Reduce the electricity costs related to battery charging and discharging in TOU tariff
- 4 Use the battery to balance the supply and demand to prevent blackouts during times of high power demand, such as the hottest days of summer.
- 5 Providing reserve capacity, voltage support for the grid through reactive power control.